The Child and Family Welfare Society of Pietermaritzburg started in 1921 by a group of white volunteers to provide support services to family in distress. The need arose for similar services to be rendered to other race groups and Child Welfare Societies Emerged.
In 1990, the complex and sensitive process of amalgamations was started and by April 1994 the agency emerged as a unified, coherent, non racial agency with one staff, one headquarters and one board of management.
Areas of Operation
The Society deals with all children under the age 14 years living in the magisterial district of Pietermaritzburg which specifically includes but is not limited to the following:
1. Smero, Pata, Plessislaer
2. Edendale, Dambuza, Machibisa, Caluza, Nhlazatshe, Esigodini
3. Glenwood, Eastwood, Woodlands, Panorama Gardens, Cinderella Park
4. Northdale, Copesville, Orient Heights
5. Allandale, Raisthorpe, Mountain Rise
6. Hilton & Cedara
7. Pelham, Grange, Bisley, France
8. Prestbury, Boughton, Peacevale 3, Hayfields
9. Greytown (CAC project only)
How we Operate
We are governed by a board of management. We have a staff of 50 which includes 21 social workers, the Director, 4 social work managers, 2 community development workers and finance administration staff.
Our focus is on children who are: -
4. HIV +